Clean Air Action
Education and AI Tool Expansion Fellow
About the Organization:
Clean Air Action Corporation (CAAC) is the parent company of the project The International Small Group and Tree Planting Program (TIST). The TIST program is a climate change initiative focused on carbon removal through reforestation. It is comprised of a network of over 170,000 rural farmers in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and India. The program provides training and resources to farmers to help them establish and maintain tree planting projects on their land. In return, the farmers receive payments for the carbon sequestered by their trees. TIST also promotes best practices such as Conservation Farming and encourages community development through small group participation . In addition to carbon sequestration, TIST provides other benefits such as improved soil health, increased biodiversity, and additional sources of income for farmers.
Over the last 3 years TIST has launched the TIST Learning Centre (learn.tist.org) to support the education of TIST participant farmers and field staff. The TIST Learning Centre is optimised for use in a mobile device and includes over 40 courses in English and Swahili. The TIST Learning Centre was recently complemented with the launch of the TIST WhatsApp Chatbot - the latest iteration of the chatbot being an AI based Natural Language Model interface.
The International Small Group and Tree Planting Program (TIST) seeks a motivated and tech-savvy intern to assist in the expansion and integration of Artificial Intelligence (AI) as an educational tool within our programs. The intern will work closely with our education and technology teams to develop, implement, and evaluate AI-driven solutions to enhance the learning experience of our participants. This role is ideal for someone passionate about using technology for social good, particularly in the areas of environmental conservation, sustainable agriculture, and community development.
- Collaborate with the education team to understand learning objectives and identify opportunities for AI integration.
- Assist in the development of AI-driven educational tools, such as chatbots, personalized learning systems, and interactive content.
- Conduct research on current AI trends and best practices in educational technology.
- Analyze data to provide insights into learning effectiveness and user engagement.
- Participate in the testing and evaluation of AI tools, gathering feedback from users for continuous improvement.
- Prepare reports and presentations on the progress and outcomes of AI initiatives.
- Attend team meetings and contribute to project planning and strategy discussions.
- Experience and/or interest in and of the following: Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Educational Technology, Carbon Sequestration, Reforestation.
- Understanding of AI concepts and technologies, such as machine learning, natural language processing, and data analytics.
- Experience with programming languages relevant to AI (e.g., Python, R) a plus.
- Interest in education and a passion for leveraging technology for social and environmental impact.
- Excellent research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a remote setting.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Organizational and time-management skills.
- Fluent in English; proficiency in additional languages is a plus.
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn is more desirable than any experience or paper qualification.
Time Commitment: 20 hours / week